Wednesday, March 20, 2013

March 15, 2013


A surprise Birthday cake 

The day I joined to college I have seen how birthday was being celebrated. My class mates often made teachers emotional by organizing a surprise birthday. And a few of my colleagues celebrated their birthday in the classroom. It was actually a happy moment to see their cheerful faces. I only had to contribute the amount that was being asked. No worries for buying a gift I got to take as everything was done by my class mates who had better experience.   

Twice I was invited for friend’s Birth-day which I had to buy a gift myself. If I would have gone with empty handed I would have embarrassed, making peculiar myself when others were presenting their gifts to the Birthday girl. Bewildered what kind of gift my Birthday friend would like? I went to gift shop with my group friends. When they were busy selecting gift, I stood like a fool who do not know at which direction to turn and move on. There were various and elegant gifts kept on a shelf with price tag on each packet, expensive and cheap ones. Lastly, I selected a mug thinking it can be usable for drinking though it last no longer and easily breakable. To take a gift has become necessary for a birthday, to bring smiles on birthday girl or a boy’s face, seeing the gift.

A few of my friends kept on asking me, when was my birthday? My reply to them was simple “I do not have Birth-date”. Don’t u have parent or are you not come from a mother’s womb? They questioned me. “Yes I do have parents”, I said. I become nostalgia when ever someone throws, especially this question. When I was in High school, in winter vacation, I once asked my mother to tell me the exact Birth date of mine. She was unable to answer it. She might have thought that I would be sad as she could not remember the date being a mother. I could see her face turn in sad mood and her voice tone changed so soft. “Since I gave a birth to fourteen children I could not remember all of your Birth date” she said. I immediately comforted her saying it was not a big deal, I simply asked if you could remember. It’s okay mother. Since then as I did not know my accurate birth date, who ever ask my birthday, I reply them that I do not have “Birth date”. I do not blame my parents for not remembering; instead I’m happy that I do not have to celebrate a birthday, spending luxuries.

Never had I envied when I see others celebrating a birthday. In my village, none of the child would have experienced the celebration or hear the term “birthday celebration”.  They are happy if their stomach is filled enough to survive for a day. Rather I felt it was better not to remember birth date, in the town where modern style of life is more in centered. However, with no expectation my friends had overwhelmed me, putting me in modern life of celebration which I never had experience through out my life till date.  

  March 15, 2013, was a conjured day; a miracle and a memorable day! The sun and moon has never taken a partiality, it has been glittering, giving a brightness and live to living things. Now the turn has come to me, the day I had never expected someone would do a surprise thing to me. I heard a knock at the door, when I opened; it was my friends with a cake, singing a birthday song “HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU”. I did not know what to do? I was assured it wasn't my birthday celebration since they already knew I do not have B-date. With astonished I asked who’s this is for. “It’s your Birthday, from today onward March 15th is your B-day”. Sooner I spoke a phrase “I have no words”, my tears rolled down. It was not that I have no words but my rattle throat blocked to voice my words. My friends joined with me in shedding their tears too. I could feel how is like giving a surprise to anyone.   

For fixing a surprise, bringing cheerful to my face and fulfilling my never wished Birthday; I wholeheartedly thanked my friends who have made the day special to me! 

6 comments:

Sonam Pelgen said...

Your case is similar to mine. Similar because my mom at least remember that i was born on 'Tshey Sonfi' (Tshey Chuzhi). 'Tshey' has 'lhags' and 'Ches' and it does not correspond to the date. On my assumed birthday, neither do i celebrate nor do i remember it is my birthday. In fact it is good that my loving mom cannot remember, otherwise, it could have been another burden having to celebrate my birthday. I inform my friend not to wish me on my birthday. I don't wish them or attend their celebrations.
Nevertheless, i am happy that you finally got one new birthday.
It has been quite a long time that you went dormant with your blog. I have been expecting you to come up new article earlier than this. Anyway, it is good that you came up with one yet again. Nice article. Keep it up. I visit your blog quite frequently.

Tempa Gyeltshen said...

Good that they have given u a surprise...keep happy

My Inner World said...

Thanks both of u....S.Pelgen, i happy to hear that u visit my blog often...hope u r doing good!

Sonam Pelgen said...

Sure! I am doing good and struggling hard to understand what all it takes to be a civil servant. I see the world i dreamed of back then and the actual situation is totally contrasting. This is in fact a great realization i am experiencing. Sometimes, i wonder if i nearing to getting enlightened haha..

My Inner World said...

soon you will be enlightened after more realization..haha..anyway life has to move on, good or bad, no matter how hard we feel, struggle and even nearing to die till our uncertain breath stops inhaling and exhaling...life is to realize....great Pelgen sir....keep going on...my life move in a same way u r moving....lets move through unseen road ahead....

Unknown said...

same case in me but i found out my birthday is on 26 july where i ask my mother the time and date of our astrology and went through Dharamsala Tibetan Calander record. i got it and from this year i am going to celebrate ni ana hehe.